Thursday 14 May 2009

Sweet Willow (and a teeny bit of a rant xxx)

Here's Willow, and she's practising her ballet moves.
She is the star of this week's Willow Sketchie Challenge and you can see her and her brother Woody here.

This week it is the turn of Katy to design the sketch and I have to say that I just loved this one. Don't forget to pop over and see what's what :)xx

It's all a bit predictable chicks!!
I coloured Miss Willow with PMs and gave her a fair old sprinkling of Glamour Dust. The papers are from the Wild Rose Studio Spring CD.

Now, as it is a Willow Sketchie, there is always a bit of a twist. So this week it is buttons, bows and brads.

The buttons you can see above - they are Poppicrafts faberoonies and I coloured some twine with my PMs and threaded it through.

The brads are Amercian Crafts which I got from Hobbycraft - more about them in a sec (boo hisss!!)

And bows - well it isn't strictly a bow, but a blind man on a galloping hoss would not notice, would he lol xxx This fab ribbon was in my parcel from my lovely pal in the US xxx I will so cry when it is all gone!!!

Of course, I used my new MSBP which you can get from Dies To Die For - I think Tracy is expecting some more some day quite soon. Nab one for yourselves peeps, cos they are FABULOUS!!! I dabbed a bit of bling on the scalloped edges cos I just couldn't help myself!!

And there ya go :)x

Now why the booo hiss for Hobbycraft (or Hobbycrap as my kids call it, and I am inclined to agree with them at this moment in time).

You see, I have been harbouring an urge to make some jewellery for a while now, so I went to get some stuff earlier today. I had a 'recipe' that told me what I needed to make a 'simple' bracelet and some earrings. Now, if you make jewellery already, you will no doubt know what a two hole spacer, a head pin and tiger tails are. Sadly I don't, and even less do I know what these things look like!!!!!

But anyway, we were not to be deterred and we trawled the bead aisles looking for these things. After 30 minutes or so (I am not exaggerating) we gave up and leaving Nicola still searching, I went to ask an assistant. I spoke to a lady who was on the till who told us that she was the only person in the shop who knew about jewellery but she could not come and help us as she was on the till. But she gave me a leaflet with pictures.

So back up I went and we tried again. But still we could not find these sodding items.

Back down I went.

Same girl still on the same till said she would get someone to cover her and come and help us - hurrayyyyyy!!! But she couldn’t get anyone - they were all busy (standing round gabbing about what they were having for their tea or the price of fish or whatever else they were blathering about - ohhh yer nasty moo, Dawny P).

At this point I was ever so slightly losing the will to live and thinking that possibly going to Next and getting the same sort of stuff I wanted to make from there at a fraction of the cost probably would be a better option.

But wait - help was at hand cos just then a Hobbycraft man appeared so we asked him. I kid you not, this poor sod stood there looking at me like I was speaking to him in Swahili - I knew how he felt cos it was all a bit Greek to me as well. Then he went sort of glazed. Then he stood there looking at these things hanging up with the blankest expression I have ever seen, for about 5 minutes.

I could stand it no more.

So, I thought, to hell with it, to hell with it all. I said to him as nicely as I could, even if it was through gritted teeth, that I would leave it. I have never ever seen such relief on someone’s face. We were in there for nearly an hour and what did we get? A Princess sticker book for Kyla - that was it!!! So I'll stick them on me ears and round me wrist then shall I!!!!!

I know how Basil Fawlty feels and probably to the rest of the shoppers in there I must have looked a bit like a mini version of him !!

Now call me old fashioned, but it is a craft shop - well, arts and crafts. Should there not be people in there who know about craft or is that too much to ask? I know I am a moaning old goat but that sort of crap service does my head in. Yes, the teeny tinylittle packets do have descriptions on them but you would need the eyesight of a hawk to be able to read it, and in all fairness, I am a bit like Mr Magoo, even with my contact lenses in (I've told you the Donald Pleasance story before!!!).

And breathe .......

So that was it peeps. I am off to trawl cyber space looking for these things. I feel at this moment in time that I would have more luck finding Lord Lucan, Shergar or the Holy Grail!!!!

But ya never know and I'll let ya know if I find them :)xx

Have a fab night xxxxx

25 comments:

katy said...

Dawny this is gorgeous, thank you for making my sketch look fabulous :) As for Hobbycrap..oopppps craft, lol, i've never been but i dont think i'd have been that impressed either, had to giggle at your rant though, lol. Love Katy x

Victoria said...

Cute card Dawn. Loving this sketch by Katy and your checked ribbon is yummy! Sorry to hear about your bad day in 'hobbycrap'. Hope you have more luck finding what you want on the tinterweb!
Hugs, Vicky x

Zoe said...

Its annoying when people cant/wont help isnt it!! grrrr at them!!
I absolutely ADORE your sketchie card, its fabulous sweetie!! i agree about the ribbon, it sure is gorgeous, i am going to have to try and get myself some black and white gingham me thinks!!
Take care sweetie,
Zoe x x

Emma (metalicbutterfly) said...

Hi Dawny!

oh dear sounds like you didnt have a very productive day lol!

I have had a £20 gift voucher for hobby craft since beggining of March but cant get to the store cos its out of town ....by the sounds of it though i'm probably better leaving it in my craft room than going and trying to spend it!
lol!!
hope you find what you need e bay do loads of jewellery but thats no good for you at the minute either ..oh dear!

Emma xxx

Caryn said...

Hee hee...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. There is nothing more frustrating than an unknowledgable assistant who would probably be better suited to shovelling fries at Maccy D's serving you when you need someone who knows what you're talking about. That's what makes the smaller craft outlets so good - they're usually owned and run by crafters! I HATE Hobby crafts with a passion!

Hugs,
Caryn xxx

Caryn said...

Forgot to say - your card is gorgeous - that ribbon is amazing (I'm a bit addicted to ribbon!)

Hugs,
Caryn xxx

helen said...

hiya hon pmsl about your trip to hobbycrap!!! check this website out its got loads of info on all the teckie stuff. dont spend loads on pliers and snips etc i got mine for £1 a pair off the tool man on the port market,there was a bead shop at the boat museum but they closed and relocated to yorkshire they have a website http://www.beadmaster.com/
check out you tube videos they might give ya a few tips too
hugs
helen x

Jilli said...

Lol Dawny ... I know its not really funny but clearly its the way you type it lol! I know exactly what you mean with Hobbycrap as i call it too. I went with a shopping list for a watch that i wanted to make ... my first item on the list was a toggle ... i hadn't got a scooby doo, neither had poor hubby who was with me. We asked 2 members of staff who equally hadn't got a clue. I came home and purchased online, it was a hell of a lot quicker lol! Jillix

Kath Stewart said...

gorgeous card as always but I am in big trouble....blimey very nearly wet meself at your antics in Hobbycraft.....and joking aside what a palaver....as you say it's a bloody craft shop....never mind hope you have more luck on't t'internet.
Couldn't believe your Paypal palaver either......think you need to keep yer head down girl......Hugs Kath xxxxx

helen said...

oops forgot the link with the teckie stuff addy on ...what a numptie i am lol
http://www.wigjig.com/
hugs
helen x

The Crafty Blonde said...

Hi Dawn, first of all fabby card, love the image and the papers and your new MSBP look fab.
As for Hobbycraft (or hobbycrap) I totally agree, I only go there as a last resort. We have one near to the small independant craft shop where I work and I have so many peeps come to me and and say they had no luck there and they would much rather come and see me as a least I know what I am talking about!!!. I actually had a man come into my shop on wed after an item that we didnt stock, I told him they did it at Hobbycraft and he said he had already been there and they didnt stock it. I told him exactally where it was in Hobbycraft( and I dont even work there) and 1 hour later he came back to thank me as he had found it. Well what can I say!!!!!!!
Lyndsey xx

Sharon Caudle said...

Your card is FABULOUS, Dawny! Love that precious ballerina! It's so irritating when people work in shops that know nothing about their wares! Good luck in finding those widgets!!

hugs!
Sharon

Sammie said...

Laughing too much to say that I hope you find the Holy Grail first -you £^$&(^!"£%"! deserve it.
Much love,
Sammie

Julie said...

Lovely card Dawny. Sorry to hear about your Hobbycrafts Experience, the few times I've asked for assistance at mine they've actually been quite helpful. You'll have to move :)

Leann said...

Ooooooh, I luvs ya Dawny - rants an' all! I haven't been in a Hobbycrap for years, not since I got banned for telling 'em it was crap anyways....but ssssshhhhh...don't tell ;)

Biggest hugs x

Oh yeah - lubs the card too!

Tasha said...

Thats an awesome card hun! I love the monochrome look it's one of my favourites, now onto your crafty items, i actually use the spacers on cards they are gorgeous! Try browsing on EBay they are a steal on there but even if you don't want to buy them there you'll see what they look like!, Tash xxx

Beccy said...

Fabulous card Dawny - afraid I had to laugh at your rant as it is just so typical of hobbycrap - they are so overrated.

Try ebay for your bits!

Beccy x

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Dawn,l love the image and colour.

Hugs Riet.x

Linanna DESIGNS said...

Good morning Dawny, i so enjoy your rants hunny you had me in fits again, really cheered me up as the weather here has been miserable again. Although as i speak the sun seems to be breaking through dont suspect it will last though. I love this card how fabulous is it? that image is great and the papers and layout are fab! have a great weekend hunny hugs Linda x

Rach and Jan said...

Hi Dawny! Fab card, love the colours and the image. Those papers are gorgeous, (got access to a printer now so will be able to play with them myself, hurrah!!) Have a great day hun, luv Rach XX

SallyB said...

Hi Dawny...I think your blog is getting known for your funny rants as much as the cardmaking. My background is in retail. I was a Visual merchandiser for Debenhams and I've worked in a Independantly owned Craft/haberdashers and we lost quite a few staff and customers to HC or 'The Dark side' as we used to call it, when it opened just outside the town, but they have all seen the light and lots have returned because of the coldness and supermarket feel and the lack of sales assistants being able to help explain things and find things for you. I would love to see a demo area and a comfy sofa cafe in them all. oh god..I'm off on a rant now..Good luck with the jewellery making..

Jacee said...

Beautiful work Dawn, you've had me in stitches with your hobbycraft escapades, though I have to say, I don't have the same trouble in my local branch, you'll have to come and move nearer to me!

Pauline C said...

Hiya Dawny
This card is just sooo cute! What a gorgeous image! And as for your Hobbycraft story ... you don't so much tell it as help us relive it girl ... I can picture the whole scene lol! God knows I have had my trials in Hobbycraft before now ..they don't even know thier own stock half the time and have sent me away before now without what i asked for cos they said they hadn't got it when it was there all the time!
And thanks for the Paypal warning ... the world is sadly full of shysters!
Sorry haven't visited much lately - I too have been busy with work /not so well/birthday etc .. time flies! I too was at Port Sunlight and actually came over to say hello but bless you .. you were so engrossed in demo'ing i thought I'd pop back later ... and when I came back at 4pm you'd nipped off (buying up the last minute bargains i'll warrant!!) Hope to see you next time :-)
hugs
Pauline x

Suzanne said...

This is gorgeous. As for the shop, it seems that not many people are happy with it at the moment. We went to the new on in Edinburgh today and my 2 year old son got his head walloped with on door and his fingers stuck in another on the way too the loo. This was to do with the way both doors opened. Manager was useless and had the very same glazed look on his face. Maybe they just train them to do the look, lol!

Hugs
Suzanne x

Jill said...

beautiful card Dawny, love the colour combo and aww that owl is so cute. I sometimes wonder where are customer service has gone, people just don't seem to care hugs Jill xx